As we’ve discussed before, homeowners insurance is a necessity to guard against anything happening to you, your family or your home. You have insurance for your car, so why not have it for your house?
But, what factors go into how much you pay? The Powell Group has that information for you.
- Your credit score is a big part of it. Getting those other bills paid on time will help your score, and a higher score will result in a lower insurance rate.
- Things that keep you safe won’t just be handy in a storm. They can also come in handy when getting insurance. Storm shutters are great. But, also look at getting a security system and carbon monoxide detectors. Having them will show your insurance company that you are doing what you need to do, so they are more inclined to help you pay a lower rate.
- On the other hand, a swimming pool or trampoline will negatively affect your rate. Insurance companies look at these and other recreational items as dangerous and a possible reason for more claims.
- Your house will also be looked at by the insurance company. Older houses in need of repair will more than likely have a higher rate to insure. Check with your agent to find out the age of the house and what needs repairing.
- Finally, your home’s neighborhood plays a big part. If your home is located in an area with big storms, your price will go up. In addition, you should also check out the crime reports for your neighborhood. Higher crime may mean higher insurance rates.
The Powell Group encourages you to do your homework and find out what it will take to ensure your home. Our team members have all your answers.
If you are moving within the Western Upstate of South Carolina, log on to our website and view all of our available homes. We are sure you will find exactly what you are looking for.