So you skipped the spring cleaning this year, but your home has become a cluttered mess. Try these clean out tips to help get you started on getting organized before the kiddos return to school.
1. Cardboard Food Boxes– They take up storage space in your pantry and do not keep your food fresh for long. Ditch the boxes & plastic baggies and opt for air tight food containers or glass jars.
2. Wire Hangers – Get rid of the ugly wire hangers from the dry cleaners and swap for a matching plastic or wooden set.
3. Old Dish Sponges – When was the last time you replaced the sponge? If it’s been more than one month, then go ahead and toss it. In between months, sanitize it with a quick spin in the dishwasher.
4. Clothing & Shoes – Donate or sell any items you’ve had for more than a year without wearing. This goes for the kiddos too! Give back to your community by donating to local organizations.
5. Expired Makeup – How long have those cosmetics been lurking in your make up bag? Mascara should be replaced every three months, foundation and concealer every year, while lipsticks, eye shadow, and blush should be replaced every two years.
6. Spice Rack – Most ground spices keep for a year. Not sure how long yours have been in the cupboard? Give each one a wiff and if there is no scent then there will be no flavor so you can go ahead and toss those out.
7. Last Year’s Holiday Cards – You’ve enjoyed them, not it’s time to let them go. Record any addresses to your phone or computer before chucking them into the recycling bin. Too sentimental to throw them away? Up cycle old cards into gift tags for next year!